CNN released a statement Wednesday night defending host Kaitlan Collins after she hosted a town hall for former President Donald Trump in New Hampshire — his first interview on the network since 2016.
“Tonight Kaitlan Collins exemplified what it means to be a world-class journalist,” the network said. “She asked tough, fair and revealing questions. And she followed up and fact-checked President Trump in real time to arm voters with crucial information about his positions as he enters the 2024 election as the Republican frontrunner. That is CNN’s role and responsibility: to get answers and hold the powerful to account.”
“… to arm voters with crucial information about his positions as he enters the 2024 election as the Republican frontrunner. That is CNN’s role and responsibility: to get answers and hold the powerful to account.”
— Dylan Byers (@DylanByers) May 11, 2023
Collins appeared to have a decent start while pressing the president about some of his claims surrounding the 2020 presidential election and the January 6, 2021, riot, but she quickly lost control of the event.
Collins’ much-criticized performance came as news broke that CNN CEO Chris Licht was reportedly set to announce that the 31-year-old would be offered a new contract to serve as host of the network’s 9 p.m. primetime hour, which was previously occupied for years by former CNN host Chris Cuomo.
The report from Puck News said that Collins’ performance tonight is not expected to impact the offer that CNN is about to make her, but cautioned that with Trump, anything is possible.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE DAILY WIRE APP
Puck News reported that the announcement is expected to take place in the coming days and would cap off Collins’ fast rise through the network from her time as a White House reporter who often got under the skin of former President Donald Trump to become a fresh face for the network’s primetime lineup.