Comedian and TV host Jay Leno was released from the hospital on Monday, over a week after he suffered third-degree burns while working on his 1907 White Steam Car.
Leno, who injured his hands and face, underwent grafting procedures at the Grossman Burn Center in Los Angeles. Dr. Peter Grossman seemed to revise his initial concerns that it might take more than a couple of weeks for Leno to be back on his feet.
“I am pleased with Jay’s progress, and I am optimistic that he will make a full recovery,” Grossman, a board-certified plastic surgeon, told Fox News Digital on Monday.
People Magazine tweeted a photo of Leno posing with his care team as he was released.
Jay Leno Discharged from Hospital 9 Days After Suffering Severe Burns from Gasoline Fire: See the Photo https://t.co/Tji7BWi3B7
— People (@people) November 21, 2022
Leno, a car enthusiast whose collection includes McLarens, Bugattis, and Bentleys, was working to repair a clogged fuel line when a leak caused gasoline to spray over his face and hands. A spark then caused an explosion, which ignited the gas.
Leno told TMZ that his friend Dave, who was in the garage with him at the time, was able to smother the flames — otherwise, he said that the fire was serious enough that it easily could have killed him.
Tim Allen, a friend of Leno’s, said Leno was looking good after he visited him in the hospital several days ago.
“His face looks great. It didn’t look all that good to begin with,” Allen joked. “He’s going with the George Clooney look. You’re gonna be surprised. He’s handsome and he’s happy and the hospital is doing a great job taking care of him.”
This is a developing story; refresh the page for updates.