NFL Hall of Famer Michael Irvin said he’s “baffled” after the NFL Network announced the sports commentator has been pulled from the network’s coverage leading up to Super Bowl LVII over a misconduct allegation.
“Michael Irvin will not be a part of NFL Network’s Super Bowl LVII week coverage,” NFL Media spokesperson Alex Riethmiller told Dallas Morning News reporter Michael Gehlken.
Irvin spoke with Gehlken and disputed an unspecified claim brought by a woman against the former Dallas Cowboys star over an alleged encounter that occurred Sunday evening in Arizona in the lobby of his hotel.
“Honestly, I’m a bit baffled with it all,” Irvin shared. “This all happened in a 45-second conversation in the lobby. When I got back after going out … I came into the lobby, and I talked to somebody. I talked to this girl. I don’t know her, and I talked to her for about 45 seconds.”
NFL Network removes Michael Irvin from Super Bowl LVII coverage after allegation of misconduct is made against him. https://t.co/y0JuZdDjcu
— ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) February 8, 2023
“We shook hands,” he added. “Then, I left. … That’s all I know.”
The NFL broadcaster said he had been out drinking with a pal and when he came back to the lobby he spoke to a woman.
“It was just a friendly conversation,” the former NFL star shared. “‘What’s up?’ I don’t even know … I am totally perplexed.”
Irvin also told Gehlekn that the two had a brief conversation and that nothing “physical” between them occurred.
“What law did I break?” the sports commentator asked. “There was definitely nothing physical. … That’s honestly all that happened. Nobody was in my room. It was a 45-second conversation in the lobby, a handshake and we left … I don’t know. I don’t know what this is, and it’s running me crazy.”
In 2007, Irvin was accused of sexual assault, but never faced charges stemming from an incident at a casino in Florida, The New York Post noted. He faced a civil suit, filed a counterclaim, and the matter was eventually settled out of court.
In 2017, the NFL star was again accused of sexual assault. He denied the allegations. No charges were ever filed, the outlet noted.
Gehlekn later updated his piece to reflect that ESPN confirmed to him that Irvin’s appearance, planned for Friday on the network, had been canceled as well.