NASCAR driver Kyle Busch was recently arrested on weapons charges in Mexico and has since been convicted and sentenced to 3.5 years in prison and a fine.
Busch made the revelation in a statement posted to social media on Monday, saying that the incident happened back in late January when he was traveling out of the country after being on vacation and forgot that his gun was in his bag.
“In late January, Samantha and I enjoyed a several day vacation in Mexico. When departing the country, my handgun was flagged during routine screening at the airport,” he said. “I have a valid concealed carry permit from my local authority and adhere to all handgun laws, but I made a mistake by forgetting it was in my bag.”
“Discovery of the handgun led to my detainment while the situation was resolved,” he continued. “I was not aware of Mexican law and had no intention of bringing a handgun into Mexico. When it was discovered, I fully cooperated with the authorities, accepted the penalties, and returned to North Carolina. I apologize for my mistake and appreciate the respect shown by all parties as we resolved the matter. My family and I consider this issue closed.”
The Mexico Prosecutor General’s Office issued a statement last week on the issue, saying that it had charged and convicted “Kyle Thomas B” in connection with the incident. Busch’s middle name is Thomas.
However, shortly after Busch released his statement, the Mexico Prosecutor General’s Office changed the name of the individual charged and convicted to “Kyle ‘N.’”
“The Public Ministry of the Attorney General of the Republic (FGR) in Quintana Roo, obtained a conviction of three years six months in prison and a fine of 200 units of measurement and update equivalent to the amount of 20 thousand 748 pesos, against a person of foreign nationality,” the statement said. “The sentenced today, Kyle ‘N’, was credited with his full responsibility in the commission of the crime of carrying a firearm without a license and possession of cartridges for the exclusive use of the Armed Forces.”
“According to the investigation folder, the arrest took place on January 27 of this year, when the man sentenced today was detained by elements of the Quintana Roo National Guard, derived from the direct signaling of private security personnel from the Airport. Cancun International, who are assigned to guard the platform of the FBO terminal for private flights,” the statement continued. “The detainee, who is originally from the State of Nevada, intended to travel to the United States of America, but when passing his luggage through the RX of the platform, a caliber pistol-type firearm was detected inside. 380 with magazine stocked with six useful hollow point cartridges.”
“Due to the foregoing, the agent of the Federal Public Ministry presented it before the Control Judge, on January 29 of this year, who described the detention as legal, a link to the process and through an abbreviated procedure issued a sentence,” the statement concluded.
There is no word on how or if Busch will be required to serve any time in prison.