Reward For Info On DNC, RNC Pipe Bomber Jumps To $500,000 As Investigation Nears Two-Year Mark

Federal and Washington, D.C., officials are offering a $500,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of a suspect who placed pipe bombs outside of the Republican and Democratic national headquarters in January 2021.

The FBI Washington Field Office; the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives Washington Field Division; and the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department increased the amount on Wednesday after a two-year investigation into the incident has failed to identify the suspect.

“For two years, a dedicated team of FBI agents, analysts, and law enforcement partners have been tirelessly reviewing evidence and digital media related to this case,” David Sundberg, assistant director in charge of the FBI Washington Field Office, said in a statement. “With the significantly increased reward, we urge those who may have previously hesitated to contact us — or who may not have realized they had important information — to review the information on our website and come forward with anything relevant.”

“Despite the unprecedented volume of data review involved in this case, the FBI and our partners continue to work relentlessly to bring the perpetrator of these dangerous attempted attacks to justice,” he added.

Investigators have turned up little in the two intervening years. In September 2021, the FBI ramped up an effort to get the American public involved in the search, releasing a virtual map that the suspect took to place the bombs.

“One device was placed in an alley behind the Republican National Committee (RNC) Headquarters, located at 310 First Street SE, and the other was placed next to a park bench near the Democratic National Committee (DNC) Headquarters, located at 430 South Capitol Street SE, #3,” the FBI said at the time. “New video footage released today shows the pipe bomb suspect sitting on the bench near the DNC, in the area where the suspect later placed the pipe bomb. From this vantage point, a full front view of the suspect can be observed.”

Authorities were offering a $100,000 reward for information on the suspect.

According to Steven D’Antuono, who was then the assistant director in charge of the FBI’s Washington Field Office, the FBI at the time had “conducted more than 800 interviews, collected more than 23,000 video files, and assessed more than 300 tips” related to the investigation into the attempted bomber.

D’Antuono helped lead the FBI investigations into the January 6, 2021, Capitol riot, which took place a day after the pipe bombs were laid. Before his assignment in D.C., D’Antuono worked for the FBI’s Detroit office and led the investigation into militia members who plotted to kidnap Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer (D). D’Antuono resigned from the bureau late last year.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Generated by Feedzy