Former Vice President Mike Pence has reportedly been subpoenaed by special counsel Jack Smith in his criminal investigations into the classified documents found at former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago residence and the investigation related to alleged efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election.
ABC News said on Thursday evening that it was not clear what information Smith is looking for from Pence, but it reportedly comes after “months of negotiations between federal prosecutors and Pence’s legal team.”
The New York Times subsequently reported that the subpoena is related to Trump’s effort to stay in office after he lost the 2020 presidential election.
CNN reported earlier in the day that former national security adviser Robert O’Brien was also subpoenaed by Smith after he declined to provide information to prosecutors by asserting executive privilege. O’Brien should have been involved in the handling of classified material at the end of the administration, the report said.
Bloomberg News reported Wednesday that the FBI and DOJ recently recorded a four-hour interview under oath with former acting Department of Homeland Security Secretary Chad Wolf about efforts to keep Trump in office after the 2020 election.
The report said that other top former Trump administration officials that have reportedly testified in criminal investigations into the former president include Wolf’s former deputy, Ken Cuccinelli, former White House counsel Pat Cipollone and his deputy Patrick Philbin, former adviser Stephen Miller, and former White House aide John McEntee.
This is a breaking news story; refresh the page for updates.