One week ago, Vanilla Ice was sharing a stage with the late rapper Coolio — whose real name was Artis Leon Ivey Jr. — and as of Thursday morning, the “Ice, Ice, Baby” performer admitted that he was still “freaking out” over the sudden loss of his friend.
Coolio died on Wednesday at a friend’s house in Los Angeles — reportedly visiting while he took care of some details regarding his passport — and Ice responded with a tweet, saying, “I’m freaking out I just heard my good friend Coolio passed away.”
I’m freaking out I just heard my good friend Coolio passed away.
— Vanilla Ice (@vanillaice) September 29, 2022
Ice told entertainment website TMZ on Thursday that he was still reeling after receiving the news, saying that he had not been able to sleep much on Wednesday and woke up “still in shock and freaking out.”
The two have been touring together as part of the “I Love The 90s” show for the last six years — and their most recent show together in Cypress, Texas, turned out to be Coolio’s last.
Ice told TMZ that the late rapper had been in good spirits at that show, and that they had spent some time together just hanging out in his dressing room after Coolio joined him onstage during his set to freestyle.
“See you tomorrow, homie,” were Coolio’s last words to his longtime friend, Ice revealed.
“My heart goes out to all the family. I’m truly devastated. He was a great friend,” he added.
Coolio reportedly went to use the bathroom at his friend’s home, and when he didn’t return after some time had passed, the friend went to check on him. When he got no response, he opened the door and found the rapper unresponsive.
Paramedics arrived a short time later, and, despite working on Coolio for a full 45 minutes, CPR was unsuccessful and they pronounced him dead at the scene.
Authorities have opened an investigation into his death, but no foul play is suspected and no drugs or drug paraphernalia was found at the scene. Officials reportedly suspect a cardiac arrest but have said that no official announcement would be made until an autopsy and full toxicology report had been completed.