Virginia Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Five Injured

Virginia Shooting Leaves Two Dead, Five Injured

Authorities in Virginia are investigating a shooting that left two people dead and five others injured early Sunday morning. 

The Norfolk Police Department received a call around midnight reporting a shooting near Old Dominion University.

“When officers arrived on-scene, they came in contact with four women and three men suffering from gunshot wounds,” the police department said in a press release. “All the victims were transported to the hospital; two of the victims, a man and a woman, sustained life-threatening injuries.”

Zabre Miller, 25, and Angelia McKnight, 19, later died at the hospital from their injuries, police said.

#NorfolkPD is currently investigating a shooting in the 5000 block of Killam Avenue. 7 people have been taken to the hospital (5 have non-life threatening injuries, 2 have life threatening injuries) Call came in around 12:00 a.m. More details to follow.

— Norfolk Police Dept (@NorfolkPD) September 4, 2022

Norfolk State University (NSU), a historically black university located about 12 minutes from where the shooting happened, tweeted early Sunday that “several” of the victims were students at the institution. NSU said in an Instagram post that “initial indications” are that the students were innocent bystanders at the incident that took place at an “evening house party.” 

The university said that the NSU Police had secured the campus early Sunday. In addition to offering counseling for students, NSU encouraged the campus community to “remain vigilant of their surroundings.” 

A spokesperson for Old Dominion University, about a mile from where the shooting took place, told WTKR that none of its students were victims.

WTKR reported that several calls were made Saturday night to Norfolk emergency dispatch regarding various other shooting incidents in the city. As a result, Sentara Norfolk General Hospital’s trauma center was locked down for the violence and an increased number of patients, a police source told WTKR. 

Fox News reported that patients were being diverted to other hospitals before the lockdown was lifted around 5 a.m. 

“Our culture of care mandates that we pull together as the spartan family always does in challenging times,” NSU said in a statement on social media.